Temporary Playground Ready

Updates on how the rebuild is going. Hopefully, we won't have to be here long.
admin
Site Admin

Temporary Playground Ready

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:47 pm

OK, guys. I didn't get as far as I'd hoped. But we have at least something to start playing with.

We're gonna camp out temporarily on http://journalfen.com instead of .net for a while, so I can work on getting more functions ready for us on our usual .net site. When the time comes, we should be able to import what we want from .com when the regular .net is ready.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get community info (members and maintainers) imported properly. We're going to have to re-friend people, too, sadly. And we don't have our user icons, either. Yeah, it's a long list of what we don't have, I know. Trying to import that info through the command line and in mysql made me keep crashing the database. And we can't have that while we're just trying to post and do things as normal.

So a lot of what we're doing will be from scratch for a while. But it is a place to start posting again in some way.

To get started, you'll need to go through the lost info steps to reset your password. And it will probably tell you to confirm your email address again. But it does work (mail notifications is something that is actually working pretty well, knock on wood), and so you can quickly get access to your account to start customizing again and finding your friends.

I'm sorry I couldn't get more functions ready for us by today. I tried!

Oh, and if anyone is interested in signing on as a sort of VP of sorts, to help with admin stuff and helping with ideas for us to grow and do cool things, let me know... I could really use the help!

I'll announce something in a few on our main jf .net page, FYI, so that more people will know where we're temporarily setting up shop.

Thanks again, everyone!

sockyskullhead

Re: Temporary Playground Ready

Postby sockyskullhead » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 pm

RE what's been lost - are we talking in terms of just comments or entries? Or have all of those been saved?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Nothing is permanently gone. I'm just talking about what I could get working in our temporary installation for the time being. For now, all we have is our username and some basic bio info.

Eventually, we'll get entries and comments back. I had a choice between between having nothing available while I keep working, or having the minimum available. So I chose the minimum, and I'll just keep plugging away to get everything else accessible in a separate install, so I don't keep crashing this temporary server while people try to post.

Does that make sense?

puipui

Postby puipui » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:10 am

I don't know know how much I'd be able to help with like marketing or social networking kinds of things (there's a reason I'm a tech), but I'd be happy to help out with admin stuff if you need someone. Just let me know what I can do; I feel like I kind of owe you after all this time. :)

Thank you for all your work to bring JF back!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 am

Holy crap, thank you! I'll be hitting you up with details in a while. I've pulled another all nighter and i'm ready to crash for a bit, for now. Thanks again!

white_serpent

Postby white_serpent » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:36 pm

So, question from the somewhat confused: If I wait until you have all the content restored, will my friends/community memberships/maintainerships/etc also be restored, or will I need to redo all of that no matter what?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:40 am

If you wait, everything should be restored,including community settings and all of that. It would all be restored when journalfen.net is available. And while I can say that it will happen eventually, I can't begin to estimate when.

If it works as I'm planning, then what would happen is that when everything is finally restored and working on journalfen.net, you could simply import all of the posts and comments that took place on journalfen.com. But yes, we will need to redo much of the settings with community maintainers and memberships on journalfen.com if we want to use them in the meantime. I haven't found a way around that yet, except to get some admin help in resetting maintainer info.

I know it's sloppy as hell and not ideal. Hardly anything I've planned has worked out as I imagined, and my need to let the original server expire has complicated it all even more. But that need came up suddenly and unexpectedly. I thought I had another couple months to get things done more smoothly.

Basically, this is the best I can do, but I welcome any help I can get. I want to provide as much functionality as I can on the temporary domain while I also plug away at getting the original content fully restored on our usual domain.

Does that clear it up at all? Is there something specific you want me to put on the list first to get set with communities?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:08 am

puipui wrote:I don't know know how much I'd be able to help with like marketing or social networking kinds of things (there's a reason I'm a tech), but I'd be happy to help out with admin stuff if you need someone. Just let me know what I can do; I feel like I kind of owe you after all this time. :)

Thank you for all your work to bring JF back!

I am thrilled at the prospect of admin help. THRILLED.

I have a new staff journal setup on journalfen.com for handling some admin things there in the meantime. Unfortunately, I discovered one of our glitches on the temp site is that I can't assign admin privileges to existing accounts. I'm not sure which of the like 200 tables in the database the privilege system is referencing, but it isn't recognizing usernames I imported from the old JF. So, I created a staff journal from scratch and gave it admin privileges. Flag me down with a comment on the system journal at journalfen.com and I'll message you with the login to that account whenever you're ready to dive in and see what's what.

Thank you so much!

snacky

Postby snacky » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey, I did the change password thing, so I am logged into the current site. If you need me to help with anything testing-wise, let me know!

sockyskullhead

Postby sockyskullhead » Fri May 01, 2015 6:20 am

Gotcha! And good to know - looking forward to the launch of the full rebuild.

Return to “JF Updates”